While apples might be more associated with Autumn, I couldn’t wait to try out this (relatively) simple tarte aux pommes/apple galette recipe. I adjusted it a little bit (i.e. the original recipe calls for making a glaze with the apple skins) but it still turns out wonderful – especially if eaten fresh out of the oven.
- 1-2 regular sized golden delicious apple (although I suspect most kinds would work) – you’ll want to peel, core, and slice the apples
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- 6 tablespoon of softened butter cut into 1/2 in. chunks (do not microwave <- you don’t want melted butter for good tarte dough)
- 1-2 tablespoons of melted butter (this’ll be the glaze)
- 2-3 tablespoon of chilled water (just pop a cup of water into the freezer for 15-20 mins prior to making the dough)
- approx .1 tablespoon of sugar for drizzling
What to do:
Mix the flour, sugar, and salt together (add dash of cinnamon if you want). Then, using either a pastry blender (or two forks work just as well), cut in the softened butter until you’re left with bits of butter no bigger than a pea and it’s well mixed. Slowly drizzle in the chilled water (I was 2-3 tablespoons of water bc depending on weather sometimes you don’t need 3 tablespoons of water; adjust as needed). Kneading the dough until everything is incorporated, pat the dough into a flattened disk (approx. 1 inch thick) and saran wrap/put in fridge for 30-45 mins (minimum) OR, if you’re in a hurry, you can freeze it for 15 mins (I’ve done it both ways and it turns out fine).
Then, while the dough is chilling, core, peel, and slice the apples. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Flour the table/parchment paper. Roll out the dough until it’s approx. 8-10” (depends on how much dough you have – you want it thin but not overly so).
Spiral the sliced apples making sure to leave a 1.5-2” edge, drizzle a little of the melted butter (and cinnamon if you want). Fold the edges of the dough over the apples and drizzle the rest of the butter on the dough/apples. Sprinkle sugar on the pastry dough and apples (approx. 1 tablespoons worth – but you can adjust how much you use depending on how sweet you want it to be).
Put inside the oven for 45-ish minutes – rotating the tarte every 15 mins. Should be done when the apples have a slightly caramelized edge/dough is golden-ish brown.