I’ve been on a mission to find simple, delicious one pot wonders and stumbled across a Bon Appetit recipe for Thai Basil Beef. I finally tried a simplified version of the recipe a few days ago and it was a success; Bon Appetit’s recipe called for a fish/soy sauce + lime juice drizzle which I did away with.
Ingredients (to serve 2):
- 1/2 – 3/4 lbs of ground beef
- a dollop of olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced finely
- 1 cup of chicken/veggie stock
- a dollop of chili pepper sauce (personally, I love Yank Sing’s Chili Pepper Sauce)
- julienned carrot (approx. 1 cup worth)
- salt & pepper for seasoning
How do I make it?
- Note: I served the thai basil beef with rice so before I started cooking the beef, I went ahead and started the rice in the rice cooker.
- Add the olive oil and diced garlic and set to medium heat.
- Once the oil is sufficiently hot, add ground beef and start browning the meat.
- Season the ground beef and then pour in the chicken/veggie stock; let it cook on med/high heat for 5-10 mins.
- Add the chopped basil and cook until slightly wilted.
- Add the chili pepper sauce (as much as you want)
- Cook until all cooked through then serve on top of rice.
- Garnish the bowl with the julienned carrots, and enjoy!